UNIVERSAL & FLEX DESIGN COMPONENTS
- Elevators for all multi story residences.
- Limited restriction at ground level, front entrance. Railings when one or more steps necessary at front door & throughout residence.
- Easily and economically modifiable entrance to unit for barrier free, wheel chairs and “walkers”.
- Good lighting on front porch and inside front hall.
- Wheel chair 36″ clear width accessible front door.
- Open floor plan. As few halls and corners as possible.
- 36″ and ideally 42″ wide hallways.
- Avoid changes in floor levels or materials to prevent tripping.
- Wheel chair 36″ width accessible doors throughout residence.
- All door handles, pull down, lever style design.
- Electrical outlets 18″ to 24″ from floor.
- Master bathroom has built in wood reinforcing in walls for latter addition of hand holds on both sides of bath tub and one side of toilet.
- Master bathroom easily modifiable for addition of wheel chair or “walker” accessible sit down shower.
- Push, paddle light switches 36″ to 40″ from floor.
- Thermostat set at 48″ above floor.
- Single lever for all taps.
- Good lighting throughout unit and in particular kitchen, work areas and bath room.
- Where stairs necessary, make them non slip surface.
- 36″ walkways, low slope, leading to front of residence.
- Canopy or roof at front door.
- Rounded corners on walls.
- Pull out drawers in shelving throughout unit.
- Master bedroom light switches reachable from the bed and 36″ to 40″ from floor.
- Pocket sliding doors when possible, in particular bedroom bathroom.
- Walk in shower in master bathroom.
- No slope, barrier free, no trip, main entrances for ground level and all multi floor structures.
- Key pad, remote control locks on front door.
- Anti scalding feature on taps.
- Stove & major appliance controls facing forward and push control. Remote control for exhaust fan.
- Fridge side by side cooler & freezer.
- Extra electrical outlets beside bed 18″ to 24″ above floor.
- Offer grab bars in master bathroom if requested.
- Offer lower counters in bathroom and kitchen if requested.
- Avoid load bearing internal walls for easy modification at a future time.
- Colour contrast edges particularly in kitchen and bathroom.
- Shower with hand held head and lower shower controls.
- Grab bars in shower.
- 17″ to 19″ toilet seat height in master bathroom.
- Sink with drain at back to open up area under sink for accessibility.
- Washer & dryer front loading.
503 – 3621 Highway 7 East, Markham, Ontario L3R 0G6
503 – 3621 Highway 7 East, Markham, Ontario L3R 0G6 905.479.9292 email@example.com